Houston Mergers & Acquisitions Attorneys
The energy, medical, IT and service industry in Houston is a rapid flux as the city and its economy grows. Business owners in the Bayou city look at building strategic alliances or divesting critical assets as a plan growth and expansion. A knowledgeable and experienced legal partner is critical as companies plan a business merger, sale, or divestiture of assets. While such actions are grounded in reasoned strategy for business growth for each party to the transaction, the due diligence and the structure of the transaction must be appropriate to prevent disputes occurring after closing, or risk winding up in court. Recognized as a thorough and detail-oriented corporate law firm, Vethan Law strives to help dynamic and growing business clients enhance their commercial reach and scope of the business through mergers and sale of the business or business assets in a seamless transition. Regardless of whether a company goes through a merger, acquisition of a business or asset, or a divestiture of part of its business base, the broad skill set at VLF is an indispensable resource during the due diligence, negotiation, and finalization phases of the transaction.
Mergers & Acquisitions Documents to Gather
Prior to meeting with our attorneys on the merger, business sale, or divestiture, you should have the following category of documents / information available:
- Financials of the target company, whether it is your business or the other side’s. We are looking for balance sheets, detailed profit and loss statements, and a 24-month register. Tax returns and profit distribution over the past 24 months should also be provided, at a minimum.
- Customer list. If the transaction involves a full acquisition of the business, a customer list with historic revenues from that customer is essential. Moreover, any issues concerning complaints the customer has with the target business will be important. It must be a disclosure item for either the buyer or the seller.
- Employee list. If the company to be acquired as a roster of employees, it is critical to identify key employees who helped in the growth and development of the business. It is also necessary to determine if these employees will remain with the company after the acquisition or sale. Finally, discussions must ensue with the control person of the target entity as to whether he or she will assist the purchaser during a transition phase.
- Assets. If the acquisition involves only identifiable assets of the business, the acquirer must obtain a list of assets, estimated fair market value, condition of repair and operation, and the duty cycle of the asset.
Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyers
When businesses are involved in discussions to expand their commercial scope and join with another business, whether as a joint venture or a more formal merger, the attorneys of VLF’s business group work with and counsel senior management to examine potential avenues for acquiring other businesses, or the possibility of a merger to enhance business synergies.
VLF’s business lawyers handle all aspects of the transaction, including:
- Securing Assets of the Target Company
- Working with Existing Management of the Target Company
- Orchestrating a Smooth Transition
- Ensuring Assets of the Target Company Are Kept in Place
- Working with Employee Reassignment
- Preparing Transactional Documents
If your business is involved in joint venture negotiations, mergers, or a significant asset sell off, the business attorneys of VLF are here to help.
Want all the latest news or updates? Browse through our blog to read our most recent posts and featured articles.
They always provided professional expertise, were incredibly helpful, and help us win our case!- Brenda U.
They were always professional and on top of their game! Thanks for helping me win my case!- Daniel H.
If you find yourself in need of legal counsel, I can attest to his professionalism, wealth of knowledge, and fervent attention to you and your needs.- Shawn M.
It was the most stressful experience I have ever faced, and I am thankful that Charles Vethan and his team took control of the case, from start to finish.- Karl D.
I couldn't have chosen better. Charles Vethan was far more knowledgeable and aggressive on our behalf than any other lawyer I have ever heard of.- Dave M.
My partner that tried to steal from the business didn't know what hit him when Charles got done with him.- Sean M.
Charles and Diren are more than just experienced attorneys. They are great business coaches and great assets for any business owner.- Kestutis G.
The staff and Charles Vethan are all very knowledgeable, trustworthy, friendly, and reasonable.- Stacy J.